With our tips you will become a specialist in environmentally friendly behavior on the water – for more economical driving and the protection of our seas!
1 / REFUELING
Refuel early in the morning while the fuel is still cool and not very compressed. With a moderate pump output, this ensures that less fuel evaporates. If the tanks of the pumps have only just been refilled, it is advisable to wait a few hours before refueling, because filling ensures that deposited substances are whirled up and get into your tanks when refueling.
2 / SANITARY FACILITIES
If you are lying in the harbor, you should visit the sanitary facilities there and use products that are as biodegradable as possible for personal hygiene as well as rinsing and washing. In the ports there is also more and more often the possibility of emptying and cleaning the tanks of the chemical toilets, use this and never empty your wastewater at sea in sensitive waters (water protection zones, bathing bays and anchorages, waters with limited fresh water exchange.)
3 / SUN OIL
When bathing, sun oil settles on the surface of the water and affects photosynthesis, which is so important for life underwater. Therefore, you should prefer sun milk or other water-soluble sun protection products.
4 / WASTE SEPARATION & DISPOSAL
Household waste, especially plastic, is a very serious problem. Follow the three-point rule here: reduce, reuse, recycle.
- Avoid packaging waste as much as possible by purchasing bulk products.
- Prefer products in packaging that can be recycled (e.g. glass, tin cans, cardboard).
- Avoid using single-use products.
On board, just like at home, it is possible to set up a waste separation system with little effort. In addition, you should explain to everyone on board that and how care should be taken that no waste gets overboard from the wind or the movement of the boat. Back at the port, you can then easily dispose of the pre-sorted waste in the designated bins. Please note the local regulations.
5 / FISHING
Avoid the water areas reserved for professional fishing at a minimum distance of 150 meters. These are marked by special buoys and signal flags. Also observe the applicable rules for sport and recreational fishing (use only approved equipment and material, observe the minimum catch size, the official fishing times and the water areas that are approved for this). In addition, never remove young animals or animals that are below the specified minimum size.
Enjoying fish responsibly means:
- Do not buy overfished species.
- Do not buy deep sea species.
- Choose fish that bears the international MSC label (Marine Stewardship Council) or other national seals of approval and thus support sustainable fishing.
6 / UNDERWATER NOISE
Engine noise and the noises that the boat makes in the water can seriously disrupt the underwater world. In water protection areas, near beaches and coasts, and other water sensitive areas, reduce your speed to reduce noise and waves.
7 / ECO-CONSCIOUS DRIVING
There are a few simple rules that, if you follow them, make boating a lot more environmentally friendly:
- Evenly distribute the weight on board (crew and material) so that the boat is balanced in the fairway and does not list.
- Avoid unnecessary weight by pumping out the bilge on every exit and removing all objects that are not needed.
- Make sure you have an engine that corresponds to your driving habits so that the engine can run in the optimal power range instead of at full speed and fuel can be saved.
- Follow the speed recommendations provided for the boat or even stay a little below it. In this way you save fuel and reduce emissions. The optimal engine performance is usually 20% to 25% below the maximum performance.
- Do not let the engine run unnecessarily and avoid driving at full throttle.
- Make sure you have a new engine for your second-hand boat that corresponds to the technical advances of recent years in order to reduce consumption and emissions.
- Use a navigation system that gives you the optimal, most economical driving speed, as well as automatic level control to achieve the best engine performance and optimize the driving experience.
- Use the power supply offered in the port instead of your own generators.
- Install sources for additional regenerative energy supply (wind power plant, photovoltaic, hydropower plant, etc.).
- Only use the air conditioning on really hot days and ensure that the boat is well insulated to save energy.
8 / ANCHORING AND MOORING
It makes sense to use anchor buoys instead of the anchor if these are available. In addition, there are now environmentally friendly anchors that respect the seabed. Whichever anchor you use, anchor preferably on sandy ground and adjust the chain length. An anchor line is best. In addition, the anchor should always be raised, even if the boat is only to be shifted minimally.