In the race for the largest yacht, Russian oligarchs and oil sheiks have been fighting a long distance duel for many years. New records are regularly set for mega yachts. These are the largest private luxury yachts in the world.
The big luxury yachts are the domain of the super-rich. Above all, Russian and Arab billionaires are involved in the race for the largest, most luxurious and most expensive yacht. The ships are often built in Germany. The Lürssen shipyard in particular is a good address for such ships. The yachts offer space for helicopters, jacuzzis, tennis courts and the almost obligatory cinema room. These are the largest luxury yachts and their owners.
10. SY A: The only sailing yacht in this ranking belongs to Russian billionaire Andrei Melnichenko. The three-master has a total of eight decks and a transparent keel, so that one can observe the underwater world below deck. If there is a lull, diesel engines provide the necessary drive.
9. Mahrousa: By far the oldest ship in this ranking is the Mahrousa. The 145 meter long ship is now used by tourists for Nile cruises. However, since its completion in 1865, it has long been privately owned by various Egyptian presidents.
8. Prince Abdulaziz: One of the few ships that was not built by a German shipyard. The Danish shipyard Helsingor built the 147-meter-long ship for the Saudi King Fahd ibn Abd al-Aziz. After his death it passed into the possession of his half-brother Abdullah. She is still considered the longest yacht of the 20th century. After being launched in 1984, she was the largest luxury yacht in the world for 22 years. It was only in 2006 that this top position could be challenged.
7. Topaz: The home port of the 147 meter long ship is in George Town, the capital of the Cayman Islands. Sheikh Zayid Al Nahyan’s mega-yacht was built by the German Lürssen shipyard. The Sheikh is also known as the major shareholder in the British football club Manchester City.
6. Al Said: The 155 meter long ship was handed over to the Sultanate of Oman by the Lürssen shipyard. Now the Sultan Qaboos ibn Said uses it as a royal yacht. The ship should have a cinema, a concert hall and a whole sauna area. The total of six decks have a total area of more than 8,000 square meters.
5. Dilbar: The ship of the Bremen Lürssen shipyard has a total length of 156 meters. The ship belongs to the Russian Alisher Usmanov, who got rich in the oil and gas business. Of course, this yacht also offers space for several helicopters.
4. Dubai: At 162 meters in length, Dubai just missed the podium. At twelve years of age, she is one of the older ships in this ranking. The owner, Sheikh Mohammed al-Maktoum from the United Arab Emirates, had the mega-yacht built according to his ideas by the German shipyard Blohm + Voss. The ship can accommodate up to 115 people including the crew.
3. Eclipse: The “Eclipse” yacht belongs to the Russian oil billionaire Roman Abramowitsch. There is a 16-meter pool on the deck that can be converted into a dance floor. There is a fireplace, six dinghies and accommodation for three helicopters. The length of the ship is 162.5 meters.
2. Fulk Al Salamah: The 164 meter long ship was only launched in the summer of 2016. It was built by the “Mariott Yacht” shipyard in Genoa. The ship has its own concert hall and a crew of 300. The owner is the Sultan of Oman.
1. Azzam: The longest private yacht belongs to the President of the United Arab Emirates Sheikh Chalifa bin Zayed. The ship is 180 meters long, has seven decks, a helipad and a 520-square-meter hall. In addition, the President should fear potential attackers. That is why the ship has its own missile defense system.